Designed by Gordon W. Lloyd, 1500 Woodward was built for the F.J. Schwankovsky Company, a retailer of musical instruments. It was completed in 1891, and sat on the growing fringe of Detroit's Woodward Avenue, between Grand Circus Park and Campus Martius Park. The Schwankovsky Company went out of business a couple of decades after the building opened; subsequently, from 1920 to 1978, the structure was occupied by the Wright-Kay jewelry firm.
1500 Woodward is a Queen Anne style commercial building done in brick with brownstone trim. The corner turret extends from the second to fifth floors. It was among the last to be erected using a cast iron frame, but it was among the first in Detroit to be built with an electrical elevator - a technological improvement that hastened the skyscraper era. The second floor of the Schwankovsky Building once contained a ballroom used for concerts. Brass ensembles once performed on the sixth floor balcoony.
DAVE KWIATKOWSKI & MARC DJOZLIJA
Dave Kwiatkowski is the owner and creator of The Sugar House, an internationally acclaimed craft cocktail bar in Corktown, Detroit.
Marc Djozlija worked for the Wolfgang Puck Group for the last 20 years, and was the executive Chef at both Steak and Pizzeria & Cucina at the MGM Grand Detroit.
Most recently, Marc was nominated for a James Beard award for ‘Best Chef’, Great Lakes region, 2015.
Join Our Mailing List
Stay connected with us for news on upcoming events, new menu releases, and exclusive offers.